The original dam that created Newburgh Lake was built by Nicholas Bovee in 1870, and was the site of the Bovee Cider Mill for nearly 65 years until Henry Ford bought the land in 1934.
Ford Motor Company constructed the mill on the site of the former cider mill. Opening in 1935, the mill produced twist drill, converting to airplane parts during World War II.
The plant operated until 1947, and the mill and surrounding grounds transferred to Wayne County Road Commission in 1948.
Since the county took possession of the property, it has been used for various road maintenance and law enforcement functions in the intervening 70 years. For at least 50 years, the Wayne County Sheriff's Mounted Division has stabled some of it's horses on the grounds behind the mill building.
Today, the mill is not available for public usage, but is a Wayne County Sheriff outpost. The site has several "DO NOT ENTER" and "Authorized Personnel Only" signs that make it clear that this area is not public recreation space.
Newburgh Mill Drill Plant 1936 (photo courtesy of The Henry Ford Museum Digital Collections)
1949 Aerial Overview - 1 year after the building and land became Wayne County Property (photo courtesy of Wayne State Digital Library online)